Quim Gil wrote:

We will keep working on the IT OS 2007 Hacker edition for the 770.

Excellent decision. Thank you.

This could help close the gap between N770 and N800 users and avoid platform fragmentation and maybe even make life easier for developers. But maybe not, see below.

So what is the future, do you want just fix bugs or can this be used as a test bed of future device vs OS independence?

As there are probably more devices in the pipeline and some will definitely run same major version of OS but have different hardware this problem must be solved in future anyway. How we can reflect this with maemo SDK and repository structure? Looks like there are such things as subarchitecture and flavors in Debian.
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch02s01.html.en

I have reported the top of the iceberg as a bug here
https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=804&group_id=164&atid=681
But it needs some thinking. How can developers target specific devices with same OS but different hardware? Some developers may already take eqaution Bora = N800 as granted which means some packages will not run on n770 due to compiler flags and other hw specific assumptions.

Frantisek