Hi;

On 5/3/07, Eero Tamminen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I guess that means SDL cant run on a raw framebuffer.

It can.  The problem is that it's not the only process running.
Think what would / should happen if user presses power menu
while game has switched to another VT...

It would switch back to X VT ? Isnt that what you want ? i.e systemUI
or whatever could manage this.

I think Daniel has also mentioned some (kernel) race conditions
in switching VT.

Doh!

> I really think using xrandr for this wont buy you much though (in fact
> you'll probably loose) as you really only want the single topped app
> to notice the display has shrunk not everything server wide (as randr
> is intended).

That should be a problem only from the performance point of view.

I t not so much a performance problem - its much more a problem you
effectively want to lie all windows but one about what the display
resolution actually is. Thats not what randr is for. There will be
issues. The screen DPI will change for one of which applications could
respond too (font rendering wise) completely outside of MB's control.

And if that's the thing you're concerned about, then switching
screen orientation will be a similar problem and Matchbox should
anyway be fixed to notify only visible windows of the screen
geometry changes.

Its not matchbox notifying the windows that the display size has changed.

 -- Matthew