I use two 4gig SD cards. Once i stuffed them full of media canola-conf
would just take over my cpu ( i am taking a stab in the dark, that
this was the indexer) . I waited for quite a while, and even had to
charge my n800 again, and i still couldn't use it, as everything would
stop responding.

I just uninstalled it as i got sick of doing 'killall -9 canola-conf'
via xterm everytime my device slowed right down.

If there is anything i can do to help debug this, then let me know and
i will try again, but I am also using a modified kernel to support
SDHC cards, so I don't know if my debugging counts :)

Cheers

Nick Loeve
www.trickie.org