Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 09:49:39PM +0200, ext Frantisek Dufka wrote:
>> Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>>> How do I determine in my code that I am running on the N800?  Neither
>>> os.name nor sys.platform gets the job done.  The former returns "posix",
>>> the latter "linux2", and I get the same strings when I run on Ubuntu.
>> Check /etc/osso_software_version file. This is the firmware version.
>> RX-34 on the beginning means N800. Of course this is not very portable
>> and may fail in future but currently it work for both N770 and N800.
>
> If you're going to check the filesystem, hit up /proc/component_version.

Right, forgot about that one. /proc/component_version is better for
knowing specific hardware, osso_software_version is better if you are
interested in which specific firmware is installed (and in fact for N770
hacker edition it contains RX-34 by mistake so component_version is
safer bet).

But the real question is why you want to know it in the first place.
Maybe there is better way to check some specific feature instead of
checking hardware version.