On 14 September 2007, Charles 'Buck' Krasic wrote:
> I did some experimentation a while back with DSP <-> ARM communication
> via mmap'ed memory, in my case I was working on using the DSP for rgb
> to yuv conversion. Another big gotcha to look out for is 64k
> boundaries. The DSP (at least in the 770) just can't naturally deal
> with object bigger than 64k, so you will get very bizarre results if
> you run into this limitation.

Isn't it more a limitation of a free dsp toolchain? I have seen a pdf
where OMAP1710 was mentioned to have c55x rev 3.0 core which does not
have this limitation:
http://www.ocpip.org/japanese/news/presentations/Japanese_JapanTI.pdf

Also when looking for various DSP related information, I found Texas
Instruments public ftp with the following interesting directory:
ftp://ftp.ti.com/pub/cs/v275/

It looks like a linux c55x dsp toolchain with a slightly updated version, and
what is more interesting, it lists OMAP1710 as one of the supported targets.
I have also read about a rather scary thing such as silicon bugs :) Looks like
silicon bugs are a lot more common in DSP than the bugs in general purpuse
cores. My guess is that TI is solving this problem by releasing toolchains
which are able to avoid generating problematic sequences of code. In this case
having a compiler that is aware of the target core (OMAP1710 and OMAP2420)
would be a really nice thing to have.

If a more recent toolchain proves to be useful, maybe it would make sense
asking TI to include it into a free linux dsp tools package? Or at least
query about its status (whether it is ok to download and use that toolchain
from ftp or they put it there by some mistake).

Hope that this information might be useful for dsp hackers.