"ext Tomi Ollila" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> So I remember incorrectly -- the real reason is (probably) that when
> socket(2) system call is started, these Internet Tablets tries to make
> internet connection up (either via wlan, or bt-connected phone....)
> and if that cannot be made, socket(2) fails.
> There is no way knowing at socket(2) time that user wants to connect(2)
> 127.0/8 addresses. There is probably good reason to wrap socket() instead
> of connect(), bind() (and some other system calls.. timeouts maybe...).

Nope, any of the calls you mentioned are not modified (or wrapped) in
any way. They work similarly in Nokia tablets as in normal Linux PCs.

In tablets applications request connections through libconic and after
that they can open sockets as usual. If some applications request
connections to localhost from libconic, that's a bug in the
application, not in lower levels.

Exception: there was a preload library (which name I don't even
remember anymore) in osso-ic-lib which wrapped socket() and close()
functions and did just what you described here. But I doubt (and hope)
that nobody uses it anymore.

--
Kalle Valo