Haudidudi,

> in OS2008, it still seems that VoIP with the bundled comms software
> doesen't know how to use TUN interfaces (OpenVPN). Any ongoing work on
> that?

Not currently, but the trick I have been using with OpenVPN has
been to enforce the traffic to the tun interface via iptables.

Haven't tried on N800, but on one lower scale embedded system
running on a 100MHz Cris processor.  Should not make a difference,
thanks to the abstraction Linux networking system gives us.

The down side is of course that you would have to compile net filter
support into kernel.

On the other hand, this trick will work on any application both current
and future.

I did even consider to write a support to OpenVPN for the user space
queue interface introduced by net filter. Then I could just user
firewall rules to send packets to the VPN and would not have to have
a separate interface/addressing for the VPN traffic.

This was like 5 years ago so I hope that world has developed into a better
place since then :-)

Br,
Sampo