On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 04:45 -0800, ext mitcheloc wrote:
> Okay, I'm not sure if this is already in the code or not but it would
> be great for 3rd party apps to be able to access the XMPP layer in the
> device. This will let app developers send and receive data safely and
> securely from other devices allowing cool peer to peer programs to be
> developed (like two-player chess).
Well, Pidgin and Avahi are available from Maemo extras for OS2008.
Pidgin will allow you to do link-local chat via Bonjour and Avahi will
allow you to write other link-local-aware programs.

Another package that will allow you to perform link-local chat is the
RTcom package that includes telepathy-haze and telepathy-salut[0][1].

Gabriel

[0] The home page: http://rtcomm.garage.maemo.org/

[1] The .install file for the repository:
http://gronmayer.com/it/dl.php?id=167