On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 07:34:28PM +0300, Matan Ziv-Av wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 1. The iptables package that is installed is missing a few .so files
> (MASQUERADE, DNAT, etc.). With a few changes to the files in debian/
> directory of the source package, it now also generates a new package
> iptables-ext, which includes those missing files. The question is how to
> distribute this: Is it acceptable to upload this to extras-devel (using
> the autobuilder) even though this creates the same package as in the
> base system? And should I increase the release number (which will cause
> problems with osso-software-version) or use the same?

I believe the application installer won't allow you to replace a base
package with a version from a different repository.

Can you package just the missing files in the iptables-ext, so it would
coexist with the base package?

> 2. In order to language name in input setting dialog, rather than empty
> parentheses, the language needs to appear in the binary files in the
> directory /usr/share/i18n-locale-resolver/, provided by the package
> (with no source) locale-resolver-data. I wrote a small program to
> generate those files from a source file. The package I created now
> includes those files with different names and the postinst script to
> rename them, since otherwise it will conflict with the original package
> (again, required by osso-software-version). Is there a better way to
> achieve this?

Yes, it's called dpkg-divert.
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-diversions.html

Marius Gedminas
--
As an aside, UPnP's implementation (which features SOAP, HTTP over
multicast/broadcast UDP, and extremely odd XML) is a must-read for fans of