> I am interested in working for maemo in this year's Gsoc. I am in
> particular interested in the idea 'Barcode Scanner' listed on maemo's
> idea page for  this year's Gsoc. I have quite a lot of experience in
> Python and hope to use the same for the development purpose.

Dunno about GSoC, but take a look here:
https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/branches/simon_wip/maemo-barcode/?root=maemo-barcode

In C though I'm afraid.

hacky binary here: http://people.bath.ac.uk/enpsgp/nokia770/maemo-barcode/

I've been developing this (slowly) from the test code a group of us
put together last year to test 1D barcode recognition (and others -
QR, dtmx, etc.).

I've been very slow as I've had little time and have also needed to
learn the wonders of SQLite and GTK+ (~lart listboxes). The code is
pretty messy, but hopefully the idea is clear: Barcode scanner, with
web-lookups and various lists into which the barcodes and their
web-looed-up data can be saved (e.g. DVDs I own, DVDs I'd like, etc.).
My driving force was the fact that I have lots and lots of books, and
can never remember which ones of a series I still need.

I was hoping to get this all cleaned up far more before putting it out
for public consumption, but all the talk of GSoC made me realise
there's little point in people re-doing the bits I've already done
(though some may vote to wipe the slate clean of course ;)).

I'd be more than happy to have some help to speed up cleaning things
up and getting everything working (for example I've just noticed that
my data view doesn't currently update when you add a new record,
search dialog is currently un-implemented, probably lots of bugs in
the GUI actually, same for the database code too I imagine),
web-scraping functions are currently stubs, the GStreamer output
wasn't bring displayed when the analysis loop is running (loop too
tight?), etc.

Apologies for unleashing this mess on the world! ;)

Cheers,

Simon