On Friday 11 September 2009 09:56:14 Marius Vollmer wrote:
> Hmm, I am really in a detail-oriented "let's get this done" mode.  As I
> said, the question of whether or not and if so how to use /opt for
> distribution packages is bigger than this, and I don't think we should
> try to answer it here.

So, given all the controversy and discussion, why don't we start with the
simple hack.

Let's decide that for the short term, any package (or group of packages
forming an application) which is over (say) 500K SHOULD (not MUST) use the
maemo-optify hack or some other mechanism to put most of its data somewhere
in /opt.  Yes, I hate all the symlinks but it will do the job for now.  But
don't try to force it on all applications, or do it automatically.  Just get
the maintainers of the big, commonly installed apps to agree to use the hack
for now.

I am assuming that there is no way that, at this late stage, Nokia would even
consider any serious changes to filesystems (such as union filesystems,
etc.).  So, much of this discussion is about how it can get fixed in the
medium term.

The **really** interesting question is going to be whether someone can come up
with a solution which Nokia can (and will agree to) apply in a Fremantle
update!

Graham