My understanding of xkb configuration files is that the type FOUR_LEVEL, or its variants FOUR_LEVEL_ALPHABETIC and FOUR_LEVEL_SEMIALPHABETIC, allow for programming characters at the 4th level. For example, the following definition of my US keyboard,

partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "us" {
    include "nokia_vndr/rx-51(english_base)"
    include "nokia_vndr/rx-51(arrows_4btns)"

    name[Group1] = "U.S. English";
    key.type[Group1] = "FOUR_LEVEL";

    // 1. row

    // 2. row
    key <AC06>    { [h, H, parenleft,  bracketleft  ] };
    key <AC07>    { [j, J, parenright, bracketright ] };

    // 3. row
};

Ought to give me bracket chars when pressing Fn + Shift... but such is not the case. The definitions behave rather as type THREE_LEVEL. The only exception being when the character slotted at the 3rd level can be shifted, in which case the upercase version of the char is output. I tried using the type FOUR_LEVEL_SEMIALPHABETIC but no change.

Is there a problem as to how I am interpreting the use of the LEVEL types... or is it the case that the hildon layer code is enforcing this observed THREE_LEVEL behaviour?

--denis