the only reason why i mentioned it is because the accelerometer page on the
wiki currently contains such an overview.
it shows multiple ways to do the same thing, some in python, some in c and
even differences there.
it seems to work well and give information to people who need it, no matter
which language or method they prefer :)

http://wiki.maemo.org/Accelerometers

gary