Nils Faerber wrote:
Then kernel config:
cp arch/arm/configs/rx51_defconfig ./.config
make oldconfig

A "make modules" does cleanly compile the modules. Fine so far (except
for that te modules are *huge* and a "arm-none-linux-gnueabi-strip -R
.not -R .comment --strip-unneeded" seems reasonable).

Looks like this strips module version symbols too. Tried similar approach with same result before.

But when I try to load one of the new modules I get:
        -1 Invalid module format
And dmesg shows:
        "no symbol version for struct_module"

In addition I got hit by message saying that the version does not match. I did some 'harmless' changes to kernel configuration before and found them not to be so harmless wrt symbol versions :-(

Even when copying original config back and recompiling kernel and modules (trying also with make clean, make mrproper) they were still different. I had to restore Module.symvers file from kernel source.