not sure if you are using the QT framework for writing your code.
have you considered using the QT mobility framework, its still beta, but seems
close to completion/delivery.

 *for storage device info.*
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.0/qsystemstorageinfo.html
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.0/qsystemstorageinfo.html

 *status of the api's*
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.0/index.html#platform-compatability
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtmobility-1.0/index.html#platform-compatability
http://qt.nokia.com/developer/new-qt-apis
http://qt.nokia.com/developer/new-qt-apis

if you arent using QT, then how about some command line stuff ?
http://wiki.maemo.org/Desktop_Command_Execution_Widget_scripts#Disk_usage
http://wiki.maemo.org/Desktop_Command_Execution_Widget_scripts#Disk_usage

you could also use hal-device command to get various device info.

cheers
krk969