Benno Senoner wrote:
Thanks to all for your responses, yes I agree with what you said.
I will try to track the evolution of the  audio subsystem on meego and
provide my feedback and findings.
I'll discuss the issue with the JACK authors too what they think about
it, about adding power management to jack etc.
(the main author of Jack2, Stephane Letz is one of the coauthors to
LinuxSampler too).

It's understandable that Nokia will probably not change the audio
subsystem for the current Meego version, so at least
they should try to provide a stable working system, giving developers
a way to achieve <50msec mic to speaker latency.

As I understand it, pulseaudio on the n900 achieves 5ms latency, and a few dozen microseconds of jitter.

It's just not for normal users.

I point you at:

http://linuxplumbersconf.org/2009/slides/Jyri-Sarha-audio_miniconf_slides.pdf