I just installed scratchbox on an Arch installation. Everything went
otherwise smoothly except, that I'm required to fix dbus as mentioned in
the
http://wiki.maemo.org/Developer_FAQ#.22dbus-monitor.22_does_not_work_in_Scratchbox._What_can_I_do.3F
and I wasn't able to patch the GUI installer.

I've been checking the examples svn, and the deprecated ui guides from
the webpage, as well as read the "Writing apps for N900" (raeddit). I am
puzzled at why all the widgets initialized by those softwares have their
style similar to what I'd expect to find on my desktop. I cross-compiled
one of the examples and tried it on the device, and it also showed the
same symptoms.

http://imgur.com/13k4D I was testing Hildon buttons and took a
screenshot of it.

--