Just to let you know, that IMHO the analysis and information you are
collecting are even more important than rewriting the proprietary
components. It helps both understanding the inner workings of the
system (what about writing a "Maemo 5 Internals" document for the
proprietary parts? :)) and help people interacting with these
components, customizing them (e.g. binary patching) or replacing them
when necessary.

Anyway, I appreciate reading these RE analysis, even though I'm not
actively using my N900 (now playing with N9). Maybe it could be added
to some wiki section as well?

Agreed, I am also immensely grateful for all the reverse-engineering that goes on. One day I'll finally get around to reimplementing the conversations and address books ;)

I also think the wiki is far more visible long-term than the mailing list archive (though it's good to have it in more than one place), so putting things there would be great. The mailing list is obviously far better for drawing attention to it though (as is posting to TMO, as you
have been).

I'm not sure what would be the point of replacing the proprietary
WLAN bits.
1.Ability to support WiFi security mechanisms that the stock bits
dont support
2.Support for assigning higher priorities to different wireless
networks
(i.e. if you move into range of a higher-priority network than the
one you
are on, it will join to that)

Probably other things too.

The particular reason I briefly looked at this a while back was to be able to have WiFi and cellular active at the same time without having to run a hotspot application (i.e. the WiFi as a client to my existing wireless network, not a new AP). In my case, I just wanted to be able to SSH to my phone over WiFi whilst it was sharing it's cellular signal over PC-Suite/Unix-mode USB. In the end I set the N900 up as a router and switched to Windows-mode USB networking, but it would be nice and much simpler to just use it as I originally intended (not to mention, I can't seem to get PC-Suite mode to work again afterwards without a reboot).

- Jamie