Title: Best Regards,
All,

has Nokia given any indication of if/when the next revision of the 770 hardware will become available? If the 770 is going to be a stable ongoing member of the Nokia product portfolio, as opposed to a one shot offering,  then it would be reasonable if not prudent for Nokia to provide a hardware roadmap so that developers have an incentive to continue developing software for the platform.

I noticed in the Maemo software roadmap  on the www page whose url is

    http://maemo.org/platform/docs/roadmap.html

a reference to x86 device emulation/virtualization but I wonder whether the performance of the current hardware would be anywhere near sufficient to allow anything useful to be accomplished in a vm environment.

Interestingly, and as some on this list may be aware, Microsoft has recently released an ARM device emulator that runs on Windows OS's and is entirely decoupled from the Microsoft Visual Studio development environment. For anyone interested in trying out this emulator, here is the url at the Microsoft www site to it:

   www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C62D54A5-183A-4A1E-A7E2-CC500ED1F19A&displaylang=en

It includes images for Windows Mobile 5.0.  have tested it (the emulator + the WM 5.0 images) and it works fine on Windows XP SP2 host as long as the host system processor speed and ram are sufficient. It runs fast enough that I can stream audio from a live radio www site through IE + Media Player on the emulated device over to the host OS and play it out on the speakers on the host OS without any noticeable stuttering. The payload measured by Media Player in this case is ~22kbs.

I have also installed and tested a SyncML client from Funambol on the emulator. Funambol, for those who are not aware of the company,  markets an opensource technology based on SyncML that allows PIM servers such as Microsoft Exchange, Lotus Notes, etc to be sync with mobile devices that implement the SyncML protocol stack. Here is the url to the Funambol www site:

    www.funambol.com

On the subject of syncml I have two related questions:

1. Does the 770 software support/implement  syncml?

2. Has anyone successfully tested the 770 with the Funambol software?

--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International

GSEC Gold, GCWN Gold, GGSC-0100, NSA-IAM, NSA-IEM

(H) 703 620 0672

(M) 703 407 2278

(F)  703 620 5388

(O) 410 849 2376 (has voicemail to email)

primary email address:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

backup email address:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

www page for texting:   www.vtext.com/users/jholmblad

text email address:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]