Thanks for the maemo-hackers xterm hint, this is definitly an improvment. I would just suggest to use smaller font for the CTRL bar functions to save space or to use a menu from a small CTRL icone (that will make a simple CTRL by default, as this is enough for most use) ?

Of course the dream will be to let the user configure the bar...