On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 17:34 +0100, ext Frantisek Dufka wrote:
> Karl Bellve wrote:
> > Igor Stoppa wrote:
> >>
> >> Power saving is not so important when the _energy_ wasted is so little
> >> and for an event which is supposed to happen very seldom (you don't turn
> >> off your device, don't you?).
> >>

> > Every time it crashes! :-)
> >
> > When using the Nokia at night, while watching TV in a dark room, the
> > nokia can be absurdly bright during its reboot process. So bright, I
> > have to face the nokia down on the couch while it reboots. So, the
> > bright light is over whelming when you have the nokia set to its dimmest
> > level because your eyes have adjusted to the dark.
> >

> Exactly. That is my second (and maybe bigger) concern. Reboot or crash
> at night is not a pleasant thing. While it is supposed to happen very
> seldom in reality it is not such rare event. And the backligh really
> does not consume significant power?
Check what i wrote, i wrote _energy_ and i'm gonna restate it: the
energy wasted by the backlighing durinig a device boot sequence is not
so much, when compared to other things that affect runtime power
saving.

Even 100 mA over less than 60 seconds are really nothing.
Otoh 2 mA over few days are _a lot_

> I thought it can be half of power
> consumption on such devices. It was like that on ipaq 3870 I had. I
> remeber something like 80mA when display off ~130mA minimum brightness
> ~200mA full brightness, ~300mA full brightness + 100%CPU (not sure about
> exact values, it is long time ago, it was available as file in /proc in
> Familiar linux). On N770 I cannot check easily since some parts of power
> management is ... guess what? There is this myth about hidden power
> management ;-)
Nothinig prevents you from creating a sysfs entry wich returns

tahvo_get_backlight_level()

or even a proc one, if you really are into that sort of thing.

> But anyway is there some real reason while the default cannot be much
> lower until device boots to the point where user specified setting is
> honored?
>
> Frantisek
No, just nobody so far had complained so much and from am effectiveness
standpoint, it's irrelevant to power saving.

--
Cheers, Igor

Igor Stoppa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(Nokia M - OSSO /Helsinki Finland)