Asked myself the same yesterday when seeing this:
http://pvanhoof.be/blog/index.php/2007/01/29/yet-another-tinymail-e-mail
-client

So, at least we know modest is still under development. It's a little
disappointing that in the flurry of excitement of Tinymail starting,
modest was created on garage as an open source product - but then got
pulled by (presumably) Nokia legal.

It's now been over a year, with no sign of Modest. At least if it was
open source we could assist with the UI. Or is the delay in Tinymail?
What can we do to help?

For example, I'd like to ensure that Modest doesn't make the same UI
gaffes as osso-email (e.g. using osso-browser to render all mail,
resulting in slow navigation and display).

What'd be really exciting, is an iPhone/Canola-inspired rethink of the
entire mobile email metaphors, but a better UI designer than I would
have to chip in there.

Cheers,

Andrew

--