2007/2/7, Ted Zlatanov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 13:36:54 +0100 "Luca Donaggio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

LD> You cannot compile anything on the device itself,

True currently.

LD> there is no room and no need for a full development environment
LD> there.

Why do you think so?  The N800 is a pretty powerful system, I've run
compilations on far less capable CPUs and with less memory.
On-the-fly compilation of C code, for instance (with the Inline::C
Perl module) would be very nice.  Or you could just build packages
locally, without the need for a Scratchbox installation or Debian
packaging.  That would make experimentation much easier.

Ted

Me too, on a Linksys NSLU-2 NAS for example. It's more a matter of storage
space I think: a full development environment with glibc, glib, gtk hildon,
etc. simply won't fit on the internal flash.
Maybe a different, developer oriented rootfs to install on one of the SD
using dualboot would be an option!

Luca Donaggio