From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of James Sparenberg
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 3:04 PM
To: maemo-users@maemo.org
Subject: Re: [maemo-users] Crashes

On Saturday 10 February 2007 06:54:33 Dr. Nicholas Shaw wrote:
> As I noted in an earlier post, occasionally some programs will fail and
> they are terminated.  On occasion, however, some programs display very
> Windows-like behavior, e.g. the only way to use the system is to remove
the
> battery and wait a bit then reboot.  Specifically, I'll run a program
> (fmradio was one such program) and something occurs that prevents me from
> turning the unit off, closing the application, or doing anything with the
> system.  In short, it's non-functional.
>
> I'm concerned that this will, at some point, corrupt the OS.  Thus far,
> whenever this occurs, I uninstall the offending program.  Thoughts?
> Thanks,
>
> Nick Shaw

On this one.  First Linux + jffs (jiffy file system used on 770/n800) is a
lot
less likely to be corrupted as a whole than windwos.    Normally this means
that the GUI is locked up rather than the system itself.  On my 770 (and my
laptop too sometimes) if I have an app that locks the GUI, then, SSH to the
rescue.

SSH into the system, from another box, then either kill the offending app or

if what to kill isn't obvious, just do 'shutdown -r now' (without the
quotes)
or 'reboot'  and the box will shut itself down cleanly, and restart.  A lot
of the differences in how the OS's react to a hard shutdown center around
how
they view/use a file.  Windows always writes back any file it opens.  Even
if
it opens it only to read.   Linux on the other hand writes back a file only
if it changes and permissions allow writes.  This helps prevent a lot of
file
corruption and fragmentation IMHO.  (Yes I know this is an overly simplified

explanation but I don't want to either bore or exceed my own ignorance
*grin*)

James