Hrmmff... One of these days I'll stop embarassing myself ;)

/usr/sbin I guess, but it's in my path when I'm root, so I just type visudo.
If it's not there automatically, I can't think of what might have installed
it. I did find this thread [1] on the ITT forums that shows others using it
with no mention of where it came from, so I think it's a default item.

[1] http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2180

I tried adding:
export EDITOR="/bin/vi"
to my /etc/profile and it didn't work. EDITOR was added to my user env
variables, but not when I transfered to root. Probably if I setup
/etc/sudoers to allow user to call visudo, it would work. I was, however,
able to add that line to the /usr/sbin/gainroot and that DOES work.[2] So
now I can just use visudo as root without declaring the EDITOR or VISUAL
variables, first.

[2] sudo gainroot
vi /usr/sbin/gainroot

#!/bin/sh -e