On Tuesday 02 October 2007 18:45:59 Fred C wrote:
> I don't consider my n800 a toy.  I've been in and out of computers and
> prrogramming since 1968.  The N800 is a new device of extremely
> limited power, but very nice utility, if used within reasonable
> limits.
>
> Those expecting more need a reality check if they expect to push the
> envelope of a small handheld device without putting in a
> significant amount of effort AND time negotiating the back and
> forth world of fringe.
>
> Been there, done that over twenty years ago, and still doing it, only I
> carefully pick my battles. The N800 ain't one of those battles -- for
> me.  I use it to be able to reply to this email while hanging out in my
> kitchen while my dinner is nuked, amongst it's other uses.
>

> On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:04:42 -0400
>
> Gary Baribault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Yep, that's exactly what I mean, some people have put down 430$ (in
> > Canada) for a nice toy, and they can flash and restore in 20 minutes,
> > but most people (I think, and I may be wrong) have put down 430$ for a
> > fully customised device .. I'm not looking to be skewing information,
> > if i'm wrong, then I'm wrong, no prob, then Nokia is right!
> >

> > Gary Baribault
> > Courriel: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > GPG Key: 0x4346F013
> > GPG Fingerprint: BCE8 2E6B EB39 9B23 6904 1DF4 C4E6 2CF7 4346 F013

> > >   If you limit your curiosity to those over 90 minutes, you'll
> > > purposefully skew the results, which really isn't appropriate.
> > >
> > >   I'm a 20 minute flash and restore kind of guy, back in August
> > > when I got the unit back from warranty service due to it's brick
> > > like behavior.  Most of that time was spent watching TV while the
> > > unit and laptop did their work.
> > >
> > >   However, it's possible that it's easy and short for me because
> > > I've kept things relatively simple on my N800 with a couple games,
> > > Gizmo Project, Quiver photo viewer and Claws mail being just about
> > > the only additions.  I've configured about 20 RSS feeds and 4
> > > weather stations. I've tested a fair amount of other stuff from
> > > Maemo, but then when I find it of limited value or unfunctional, I
> > > remove it to keep the clutter down.   It seems to speed boot up
> > > keeping things simple.  I gather it may also help the restore
> > > process...
> > >
> > >    I guess the fine print is I've only recently started messing
> > > around getting Claws Mail up to full speed with filters and stuff,
> > > so it might be possible that I might have to spend some time
> > > fussing with restoring some Claws settings there from a restore,
> > > but then again, perhaps not.

The only thing I "question" (and I use that term loosly) is calling it
underpowered.  I tend to view it as if I am saying. "What could I do on a
desktop in 1999?"  This little handheld is as powerful as my 300Mhz K-6 was
with more storage room (I only had a 6G drive on that box.) as such no.  I
don't expect 3D graphics or high end gaming.  But if I could do it on that
box back then, I can surely do it here and now.  Baring of course instruction
set differences.

When looked at in that light.  It's really awsome how much power is in my
hand.

James