On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 04:39:31PM +0100, Graham Cobb wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 April 2008 15:18:01 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:40:30PM -0400, Gary Baribault wrote:
> > > I kind of wish that someone would start up an oposing PIM .. Any takers?
> > > 450$ to play Mahjong or Blocks seems a little steep!
>
> I didn't start working on GPE because I thought it was a great project: I
> started working on GPE because I had a need for a PIM on the Internet Tablet
> and it seemed more sensible to start with an existing piece of software and
> make improvements rather than create something from scratch.
>
> It doesn't seem likely to me that starting an opposing PIM would help.  There
> are few enough people to work on one -- what would be achieved by trying to
> work on two?  All of people's pet peeves with GPE (bugs, UI, features) could
> be fixed if there were one or two more developers with time to make a
> contribution.

Fopr the sake of argument, let's suppose I'm convinced.  Now comes the
question of what I can do to join the project in orger to develop the
todo list.

I regularly use two machines -- a 32-bit Debian Lenny, and a 64-but
Debian etch.  No, make that three machines -- I have an n800
with OS2007.  I haven't upgraded to 2008 for two reasons: (1)
inertia and (2) I've heard a lot of complaints about 2008.

Presumably I have to install development software that's
specific to Debian and to the n800, as well as relevant versioning
system(s).  What do I need? How do I get started with it?  Do I need to
convince anyone that my ideas (such as nonautomatic task ordering) are
worthwhile?

-- hendrik