Hi,

Frantisek Dufka wrote:
> Dave Neary wrote:
>> Yes. I understand the arguments - creating an account is a barrier to
>> entry, and we might dissuade newcomers from doing minor edits.
>
> Yes, exactly, so I guess you don't respectfully disagree with that after
> all.

Indeed, I do disagree with your conclusion that this does harm.

>> I imagine you'd say the same about creating bug reports in bugzilla?
>>
> Exactly.  Some bugs don't get reported because of that. Some people who
> would join the bug hunt will never join (and such people would
> definitely register later themselves when reporting 2nd or third bug but
> this will not happen).

A bug report (especially the first or second one) typically requires
some additional information from the reporter. If the reporter has not
given us a way to get in contact, then the bug report is all too often
useless. I'd prefer to have useful bug reports which the reporter can
then see addressed, rather than useless reports which we have no option
but to ignore.

> That's misunderstanding. I'm not advocating anyone's rights. This is
> about more closed community which will be poorer because of that. It
> hurts the community more than it hurts those people.

This is the bit I disagree with :)

Cheers,
Dave.

--