> For just a send-only account setting the incoming server to 127.0.0.1
> seems to work fine for me. If you open up the main application you get
> the annoying popups but there isn't much need to do that. If you just
> compose and send email it stays quiet about it.

I should have been more clear in the message that started this thread. I
did try using bogus mailserver information, and confirm that it does
"work" inasmuch as you can send and receive messages.  However, Modest
throws two popups on startup/new-mail-check per bogus account, which are
very annoying and not possible for an end-user to disable.

I think there's a valid RFE here to provide either true sender
identities, or the ability to disable automatic checking (both on
startup and for the check new messages button).  The latter would be a
fairly trivial fix, although the former is probably the "right thing to
do" in the long-run.

Thanks,
Mike Lococo