Hi,

Marius Vollmer wrote:
> Eero Tamminen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>> Unlike apt-get, the AM tries to ignore broken packages so that, for
>>> example, a broken maemomapper installation does not prevent a OS
>>> upgrade.
>> Um, wouldn't a "broken" package database be a good reason
>> to refuse to do on OS upgrade?
>
> Hrmmhrmmhrrrrmmmm.  Yeah....  But it is quite hard to unbreak packages
> with only the Application manager, and if we do it right, there
> shouldn't be any harm coming from unrelated, unconfigured or otherwise
> broken packages.
>
> Sometimes I am thinking that maybe dpkg should ignore most exit codes of
> maintainer scripts, and the scripts would need to explicitly exit with
> 112 to let the installation fail or something... most maintainer script
> failures in maemo are bogus.

I've been going through the ITT forum and although it's only(?) a power
user issue, checking that SDK repo isn't enabled could save some grief
in case user has forgotten to disable that.  Or maybe the update should
first disable all repositories that aren't needed for the update to make
sure that they don't interfere with the upgrade process?

Btw. As I didn't notice here a link to this, here's an excellent summary
of the findings so far and some advise for power users who can use apt
directly:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=229093&postcount=304

        - Eero