On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:55:00PM +0000, Matt Emson wrote:
> Fernando Cassia wrote:
> > Which shows  "newer" is not always "better"... anyone remembers the
> > good old PalmPilot cradles?
> >
> > Not only were those rock-solid, but also it  was impossible to break
> > any connectors by pulling hard or by tripping on wires.... it'd just
> > unplug itself without any damage.
>
> Um... showing my age here, but I almost killed myself by tripping over a
> Palm Pilot Pro serial cable... it broke. The serial cables were designed
> to be screwed in to the serial port. In the fight between my foot and
> the cable, the serial connector sheared off. Luckily, the device flew
> out of the cradle and landed on the carpet face up, else that would have
> been toast too. The serial cradles also didn't charge the device, though
> the Palm Pilot Pro use 2 x AAA batteries, so it wasn't hard to keep it
> running :-) Them was the days!!

AAA batteries.  You can take them out, put them in, easily buy them in
most areas of the world, stop worrying about power-line compatibility,
and if you happen to be at home, recharge them.

A lost art in modern technology.

My alphasmart keyboard with internal word-proccessor runs for nine
months on one set of three AA  batteries.  They sell a recharger that
you install in the Alphasmart for use with rechargeable batteries, but
why bother?

-- hendrik