This is it, no more spam from me, thanks to everyone that's offered their thoughts. Hopefully I'll get a few more but if not, tis all good!

If you look at the attached diagram I'm hoping to devise a device that acts a central controller for consumer electronics & home automation. I want a hand-held to interface with it, this hand-held would ideally also have IR integrated, but it's not imperative as Wifi would be used mostly.

So far the best solution I've found is this
http://openremote.org/display/HOME/OpenRemote

You don't have to use their reference hardware but something low power/profile like it I think would be ideal. It's critical you have JRE + Apache Tomcat installed/configured properly, I'd run this software on top of Ubuntu or maybe LinuxMCE.

I was also thinking of integrating the entire thing into my existing HTPC/PVR but I'm not sure yet, it might be better to have a dedicated/separate machine. This controller would be able to send/receive via; Internet, wifi, Ethernet, IR, X10, proprietary RF, & numerous other CE/HA related protocols.

Interested in other peoples ideas, have you tried something similar, or have you heard of a better platform then openremote?

Cheers,
Jed

CE = consumer electronics, HA = home automation.

I'd prefer to use my existing Axim x50v but so far I haven't found
good Linux support for it. There is an android port, but progress is
slow & ultimately will be too limited 'I think'.

Jed wrote:
Hi All,

I was wondering if there's any good Universal Remote software for CE &or
HA being developed in this ecosystem?

Does anyone know of anything under way or a related Linux project that
could be re-adapted to it?

I have something "roughly" like this visualised... (see attached txt file)

I have an old Axim X50v which android is being ported to atm...
But progress is slow so I may have to find a better supported device soon.

Any thoughts/ideas/advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Jed
ÿþMiscellaneous --------Internet--------
                  |                  |