On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Henrik Frisk <fris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 7:42 PM, sean <tech.j...@myfairpoint.net> wrote:
>>
>> Henrik Frisk wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm considering moving from Diablo to Mer. How stable is it? Anyone
>> > using it already?
>> >
>> > best,
>> >
>> > /Henrik
>> >

>> I tried Mer a release ago, it might of been .15.
>> To many small problems that when added together really annoyed me.
>> Sound was dead, some windows would not close, and web support was just
>> not in place yet.
>> When I read more comments about it being in a more useful state, and
>> more apps listed, I will likely try again.
>>
>> What really put me into the mindset to go back to Diablo was the lack of
>> applications in the software catalog management app.
>> I know you can apt-get some apps from Ubuntu repositories, but I wanted
>> to see the ready made already in its own application management package,
>> like it is in Diablo.
>> Hardware support needs to improve, at least I think so, as well as a
>> larger list of applications listed.
>>
>> If enough applications are listed to make it useful, I think it would go
>> a long way to users testing Mer, putting up with and reporting the
>> problems.
>>
> Thanks for the report Sean. Unfortunately, the way you describe Mer is the
> way Diablo works for me (or does not work I should say). The latest problem
> is the bug described here
> (http://n2.nabble.com/Modest-complaining-about-wrong-user-name-password-td3768229.html#a3768229)
> and makes Modest unusable. I've been using Claws, but I like to navigate
> with my fingers which is very difficult in its UI. Since Diablo I find it
> virtually impossible to visit any Web2.0 intense sites (maybe it's just JS).
> I used to be able to go to GoogleDocs before Diablo (slow but possible).
> Since Diablo it's simply not possible. Maybe I have a hardware or memory
> problem? Another annoying thing is that I have to reset the language setting
> for my BT keyboard every time I connect it.
>
> I admit to not having been very good at adressing (some of) these issues
> here on the list, so if anyone has any suggestions for work-arounds I'd be
> happy. But my basic needs (email, web browser and simple text editor with BT
> keyboard) are no longer satisfied by my N810 with Diablo. Would it help to
> flash it and reinstall the system?
>
> Any other experiences with Mer would also be of interest to me.
>
> best,
>
> /Henrik

I'm still using the final version of Chinook and have almost no issues
with bugs or reliability. I could use more built-in memory for apps,
but that's another matter. I saw early on that Diablo had too many
issues to risk the "upgrade". When 32GB SDHC Class 6 cards come down
to where I can afford one, I'll probably try running Chinook, Diablo,
Mer and EasyDebian all off one card (if that's possible) so I can
compare them side-by-side. (Only after a comprehensive multiple-method
backup...) My current 8GB cards are nearly full, and a fair comparison
can only take place if all my data etc. is identically available to
each OS.

Mark