On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Marius Gedminas <mar...@pov.lt> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 04:50:23PM -0700, Qole wrote:
> > I'll try on the users list first, and then I'll try the development list.
> >
> > How does one map custom keys on the N900?
>
> I've had partial success by doing this:
>
>  $ xkbcomp :0 default.xkb
>  $ vi default.xkb
>
> comment out the two rules that cause syntax errors:
>
> //  interpret AccessX_Enable+AnyOfOrNone(all) {
> //      action= LockControls(controls=);
> //  };
>
> //  interpret MouseKeys_Accel_Enable+AnyOfOrNone(all) {
> //      action= LockControls(controls=);
> //  };
>
> Now you can restore the settings back by running
>
>  $ xkbcmp default.xkb :0
>
> if you screw up and end up with a nonfunctional keyboard.
>
> Next
>
>  $ cp default.xkb mg.xkb
>  $ vi mg.xkb
>
>    key <RGHT> {
>        type= "FOUR_LEVEL",
>        symbols[Group1]= [       Right,       Right,       Tab,       Tab ]
>    };
>
>  $ xkbcomp mg.xkb :0
>
> and now Fn+Right arrow is a Tab key.
>
> Sadly I don't know enough about xkbcomp to see if it's possible to make
> it load incomplete maps on top of the current configuration, just to
> update a few symbols without replicating the full configuration.
>
> > None of the changes I make to /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51
> > have any effect (yes I reboot after changing the file).
>
> Maybe the files in /var/cache/xkb contain precompiled versions of those?
>
> I'm not adventurous enough to go and start editing files in /usr/.
> Although creating a new symbols file in there and loading it on top of
> the defaults with setxkbmap ought to maybe work...

Thank you for your help. That works to get me started.

Now to return your favour:

Replace
       type= "FOUR_LEVEL",
       symbols[Group1]= [       Right,       Right,       Tab,       Tab ]
with
       type= "PC_FN_LEVEL2",
       symbols[Group1]= [       Right,       Tab ]

and you will retain the ability to highlight text with shift-right arrow.

--
enthusiast, n. "One whose mind is wholly possessed and heated by what
engages it; one who is influenced by a peculiar fervor of mind; an ardent