Mark,

re your point concerning the "locked" price point of $200 for a high end
smartphone,  I should point out that that price point has now been
breached by Verizon Wireless in the U.S. with their current offer of the
Motorola Droid (a quite worthy competitor to the iphone)  for $199.00
with a 2 year contract.

Here, fyi is the url to the www page for the offer:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5069

I am confident that the Verizon Wireless+Motorola Droid offer  will put
a much bigger hurt on Iphone profit margins (on the iphone product, not
the app store service) than the N900 ever will if (or should I say
when?) the N900  makes it into the U.S. mobile smartphone market. It
does not help Apple Iphone sales and future market share that ATT seems
to be considering ways of extracting more revenue from high-bandwidth
users of Iphones. That, by itself, could swing users toward Verizon
Wireless+Droid and away from ATT+Iphone.

I do believe that Nokia, with its current N900 pricing, is attempting to
keep too much money in its own corporate pockets under current market
conditions including competitive pressures from products like the IPhone
and more recently, the Droid, combined with weakened worldwide demand
due to the prolonged and very nasty recession.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Acadia Secure Networks, LLC

* *