Renaud MICHEL skrev 26.11.2010 23:43:
On vendredi 26 novembre 2010 at 21:29, Thomas Backlund wrote :
Then we come to the "problematic" part:
------
x86_64
         media
               codecs (disabled by default)
               core (old main+contrib)
                    backports (disabled by default)
                    backports_testing (disabled by default)
                    release
                    testing (disabled by default)
                    updates
               extra (unmaintained, disabled by default)
               firmware (disabled by default)
               games (disabled by default)
               non-free (disabled by default)
               /debug_*/ (disabled by default)
-----

The idea of this layout with some of the separate sections (codecs,
firmware, games, non-free, debug_*) gives a mirror maintainer in a
country (or company) the option to exclude the parts they legally (or by
company policy) can not mirror.

The "core" should be only maintained free/libre stuff so it's easy to
build a free/libre iso

"extra" is for those packages that no-one really maintain, but is still
used by someone

"games" are now a separate repo since it can grow fast with a lot of
game data.

I think it is a good layout, but, are updates/backports(testing) limited to
core?

nope, the same layout:
backports (disabled by default)
backports_testing (disabled by default)
release
testing (disabled by default)
updates

should be under codecs, extra, firmware, games, non-free, debug_*
in order to provide consistency betwen medias.
I just left them out because they was supposed to be the same for all.

As you mentioned, extra has no reason to have updates or backports, because
if someone did bother to make updates, then the package doesn't belong in
extra.

Yeah, but for a stable release, we dont move packages...

the /release/ must stay frozen.

For games it would surely be appreciated to have new versions, so maybe a
only a games/updates media which could also be used as a backport media (as
games are not critical).

To simplify for all users, the medias should be used in the same way.

For non-free we would probably want also updates and backports, like in
current mandriva.

yep.

Now for firmware and codecs I don't know, are there updates for firmwares?

Not often, but sometimes there are firmwares that get bugfixes, so the same rule apply.

Maybe they should be in sync with kernel updates (or external modules)?

They must of course stay compatible with the kernel.

As for codecs, will it contain anything that could be covered by patents,
like PLF for mandriva?
Does that mean we will still have a stripped down mplayer/xine in core and a
full version in codecs?

This is one of the tricky ones...

But if it is only disabled and you only need to activate it in the control
center to have full featured multimedia programs, it is no big deal, and if
it makes life easier for people  whose countries have restrictive law then
we should go for it.

That was the idea.

We should probably have a clear rule to decide what cannot go in core and
should in non-free (that on is pretty clear already) codecs or firmware.

yep.

I hope we will soon get to the point where we will actually put packages in
those repositories :-)

we are getting closer...

--
Thomas