From: David N. Lombard [mailto:d...@speakeasy.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:29 AM
To: Anik Wadehra
Cc: magick-users@imagemagick.org
Subject: Re: [magick-users] ppc crosscompile issues with libtiff.so
location(path)

Anik Wadehra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to ImageMagick and is still facing problem cross-compiling
the
> package.
>
> I am trying to cross-compile for Powerpc(ppc) architecture.
>
> Command used to configure :-
>
>  ./configure CC=ppc_83xx-gcc CXX= ppc_83xx-g++ --without-x -host=ppc
> -without-gs-font-dir -without-perl -withoutzlib -without-png
> LDFLAGS="/opt/montavista/pro/devkit/ppc/83xx/target/usr/lib"
PCCFLAGS="
> opt/montavista/pro/devkit/ppc/83xx/target/usr/include"
>
> Command to make:-
>
> make
>
> Problem
>
> 1)      /usr/lib/libtiff.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong
> format.

This is a libtool problem.  There's a work-around and a proper fix.

Workaround: Hack the libtiff.la file in
/opt/montavista/pro/devkit/ppc/83xx/target/usr/lib and change the
/usr/lib path, which trips on the host's version of the library, to
/opt/montavista/pro/devkit/ppc/83xx/target/usr/lib, which is the
cross-compile path.  This will technically cause the binary to be
broken, as it will think libtiff.so is located in
/opt/montavista/pro/devkit/ppc/83xx/target/usr/lib and not /usr/lib
where it will *eventually* be located.  Fortunately, the runtime linker
will look in /usr/lib anyway, and all will work.

Proper fix: Build a cross  version of libtool and use that.

> 1)      I have check the fiule /usr/lib/libtiff.so the file exists but
> IT IS COMPATIBLE WITH X86 architecture.

Of course it is, it's for the host, not the ppc target.

> DISCLAIMER:

> intended
> for the named recipient(s) only.
> It shall not attach any liability on the originator or NECHCL or its
> this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily
reflect the
> opinions of NECHCL or its affiliates.
modification,
> distribution and / or publication of
> this message without the prior written consent of the author of this
e-mail is
> strictly prohibited. If you have
> immediately. .

Perhaps this will help your legal team understand some basic facts (or
not):

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This is an email. It is the electronic
equivalent of a postcard. It has been split up into hundreds or
thousands of packets, blasted throughout the globe, logged,
scanned, filtered, parsed, grepped and heuristically analyzed by
countless computers as well as humans. Nothing sent via email
is confidential or read only by the intended recipient.

--
David N. Lombard
Rossmoor, Orange County, CA