I think that this bug may be in lib/collection.php->commit() rather than a
missing field in the pieform.
We may need to think about this for similar commit() function within Mahara.

Here's the related IRC transcript:

16:44 < dobedobedoh> re that bug, I'm wondering whether the bug is actually in
lib/collection.php->commit().
16:45  * lamiette looks
16:45 < dobedobedoh> I wonder whether it should only try and update fields
which have been changed
16:46 < dobedobedoh> At present it tries to set a value for every possible key,
but not all keys are set before commit is called
16:47 < dobedobedoh> Since update_record only changes fields which are
specified, checking !is_null($v) on that array may be better
16:47 < dobedobedoh> e.g. http://gist.github.com/530492
16:48 < lamiette> yeah, I've just caught up with what you mean
16:48 < lamiette> had to have another look at update_record
16:48 < dobedobedoh> The only reason that's causing an exception is because
navigation is defined with NOT_NULL
16:49 < dobedobedoh> So commit() could be causing other data to be loss if it's
not specified on the page I think...
16:49 < dobedobedoh> Or could feasibly in the future - I can't see any evidence
of it doing so at present
16:50 < lamiette> no, I wouldnt' think so at the moment, but it's not future
proof ... hang on, just looking at things
16:53 < lamiette> knowing that it was based on existing commit functions in
Mahara and that they all operate in a similar way
16:54 < lamiette> it might be a discussion that involves a few more commit
functions
16:54 < lamiette> and not specific to collection
16:54 < dobedobedoh> Possibly...
16:55 < dobedobedoh> I'm going home shortly.  Shall I add this transcript to
the bug and unassign myself for now?
16:55 < lamiette> I totally get where you're coming from though :) just
wondering if instead of giving collection preferential treatment we should
future proof for all :D
16:56 < dobedobedoh> yeah I wonder the same.  I had a quick look at views and
see what you mean
16:56 < lamiette> I know I copied that (Views) so yeah :P
16:56 < lamiette> add this to transcript, god idea
16:56 < lamiette> *good idea
16:56 < lamiette> patch might suit for initial fix and bigger picture moved to
a new bug
16:57 < dobedobedoh> I suspect that the patch I gisthubbed may not work for
creating a new collection because navigation may not be set

--
adding collection description shows site unavailabel

Status in Mahara ePortfolio: New

Bug description:
I tried to edit a existing collction and added  a Collection description

and see

Mahara: Master Branch: Site unavailable

A nonrecoverable error occured. This probably means you have encountered a bug
in the system