Hi Howard,

You've probably already seen, but the correct way of doing this is covered in
the following wiki article:
http://wiki.mahara.org/Developer_Area/Changing_Hostnames

I'm not really sure that adding a delete button is the best solution -
changing hostnames isn't really something that should be done regularly,
and (if memory serves me) changing the key will mean that you have to
repopulate the public key setting on each networked host - not something
you want to do regularly, especially if you have more than 10
institutions.

if you're following the instructions to correctly change your hostname,
you shouldn't touch the host table - only config, and you shouldn't be
left with an empty string. Visiting the networking page
(admin/site/networking.php) will create a new key as mentioned in the
above documentation.

Can you provide more information on the steps you took when you hit the
error, and what changes you made to the host tables - perhaps the
reasoning behind this will help clarify.

** Changed in: mahara

--
Mahara networking really needs an option to delete the keypair

Status in Mahara ePortfolio: Incomplete

Bug description:
If you change the URL of your Mahara site networking is broken. The workaround
is to dig about in the database and delete the keys. This isn't very good.
There should be an option (like Moodle).

Also, I have personally had problems with the 'hosts' table getting screwed up
doing this. I often find that the key field can get left with an empty string
in it. This leads to the dreaded 'An unknown error occured in this form' error
editing the xmlrpc form. A little more useful error handling is needed for this
table (If an error is generated delete the record so it is recreated most
likely)