** Tags added: collection

--
Collections / View navigation - usability problems

Status in Mahara ePortfolio: Fix Released

Bug description:
View Collections, the way they are currently on master, are confusing for users
seeing them for the first time.

People may think that they're a way of organising and ordering views into
folders (for the owner to find them more easily).  That's another feature that
has been requested by people on the forums but it's not addressed by this stuff
at all.

Part of the problem is that the name 'Collection' doesn't really express the
fact that the only point in putting views together into these 'things' is just
so that views can be linked to each other when they're being displayed to
others.

Comment from David Drummond on the forums:

I *do* see collections as something that could evolve in a lot of different
useful directions - something that could come in an iterative process - and
that may cover a way to organise views. Not quite there yet though granted. For
that reason I'd suggest leaving them as collections might be a good idea to
drive that direction of development in future iterations - rather than having
to rename something again down the track.

If that's unreasonable, then maybe something more explicit to the actual
initial use case is needed. Perhaps "Navigation Lists"? or even "Manage View
Menus" (and change the blocktype to "View Menu").

Comment from Richard Wyles via email:

Yes, there's also a problem with a View only being able to belong to one
Collection - users won't understand the access challenge/conflict which is the
reason? Can't Title, Description and adding Views to Collection be all on one
page? Then the action could be on the My Views page and be called Connect Views
or something. Keen to be included in discussions like this as the more menu
items and pages then it becomes harder to achieve good usability. The other
route to this via the Access page dashboard.