** Changed in: mahara

  Increase length of username column to 255 to support shibboleth/SSO userIDs

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Incomplete

Bug description:
  get_new_username in lib/user.php truncates username to 30 characters by
default. In some cases this is too short.

As an example I have modified the SimpleSAMLPhP authenticator to use the
Internet2 Shibboleth SAML service provider (SP). In cases where the
eduPersonPrincipleName attribute (which look like usern...@domain.com) is not
provider to the SP, the SP can either use the SAML1 eduPersonTargetedID
attribute (which looks like e54710df7638d...@domain.com) or the serialized
SAML2 NameID (which looks like
"!IdP-entityID!SP-entityID!lq7q48crsqzyqehetxahzcgi/bc=" and the entityIDs have
the form of a URL) as usernames.

30 characters is far to small to handle this and more over the varchar(100)
username field in the various  tables like 'usr' will impact on this issue
aswell.

My guess is that you should be looking atleast 256 or 512 characters for this.

PS. This is an issue for both SSP and Shibboleth.

This bug was imported from eduforge.org, see:
https://eduforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3424&group_id=176&atid=739