I guess we need to decide which of these have precedence when they're
not the same:

1- the address in config.php
2- the address in the database

Or perhaps we should remove one of them (probably the config file one)
and only have a single place where this can be set. Mahara could issue a
warning when the other one is set.

What do you think?

** Changed in: mahara

** Changed in: mahara

** Changed in: mahara
    Milestone: None => 1.4.0

  noreplyaddress config directive not picked up into database config
  table

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  I am using Mahara 1.3.3 clean install on shared hosting with
  inmotionhosting.  Everything works, but my emails sent by mahara are
  getting blocked.  I had the same problem with my moodle installation,
  but was able to configure it with SMTP email and a defined, working
  noreply address. However, this is not working with mahara.

  I have defined the cfg->noreplyaddress directive and ensured it's
  pointing to the correct address.  However, in the database config
  file, it wasn't picked up, instead pointing to
  nore...@subdomain.domain.com (I use subdomains to separate the various
  applications on the server) which was the default probably put in
  before I set it in the config file myself.  So I changed the config
  file back to match what's in the database, again checking all the
  credentials, authentication, and that that email address can
  send/receive mail.

  So I created several dummy accounts with any other email address I
  have, and it works on the user creation on roaming over via mnet and I
  get the email with the correct noreply setting.

  The database didn't pick up a noreplyaddress change in the config, and
  instead kept the original value.  Once I made the database and the
  config file match, all was ok.  But I shouldn't have to have gone
  digging into the database once fixing the config file-- so that's a
  bug.

  Forum post with full details:
  http://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=3110#post13442