I've attached a patch file which should work. I should add the caveat
that I've never done a patch before so I can't guarantee it. However,
I've also attached a Zip file (provided by our developers) which will
perform the same task if you overwrite the artefact/file folder with its
contents.

** Patch added: "patch created with "diff -crB" options"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/717184/+attachment/2634526/+files/resize-images-at-upload.patch

  Resize images at upload time

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  I'm aware that the roadmap for 1.4 mentions resizing images on the fly
  for use in Views, however, I feel that it would be more appropriate to
  resize images when they are uploaded as this would avoid using too
  much of a user's quota. The way I envisage this is that the site
  administrator sets a maximum size and any image larger than this is
  automatically resized. Perhaps also there could be a checkbox when
  uploading to override this, in the rare case that an image needs to be
  full-resolution.