dajan,

I don't think they're silly ideas at all, but I suspect we have enough
on our plate already for 1.5.0.

Lets make the icons language-agnostic now and work on drawing up a
specification for the process of moving to "translatable" icons for the
next version :) I've made a wiki page for it here:
https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Specifications_in_Development/Localised_Icons_Buttons

Thanks,
Melissa.

  Create graphical-only icons to replace untranslatable ones

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  A number of blocktype icons, including journals, resume, friends,
  pages, groups, wall, textbox, and watchlist, contain untranslatable
  English text.  They should be replaced with graphical-only versions.

  There are similar issues for some of the 'home page info' icons, and
  see also the related bug #812147.