** Changed in: mahara
    Milestone: 1.5.0 => None

  Problem in finding translations in third party plugins

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  Branch 1.4
  Branch main

  From Mahara 1.2 the mechanism to get display other language than
  English has changed. Previously localized strings where placed in
  different parts of the core code, together with the /lang/en.utf8
  folders.

  For now, the lang menu is showed only if one or mere xx.utf8 folders
  are found in the maharadata/langpack folder. And after a discussion
  about this with François I agree this is fine.

  Normally, when a non-English language is selected by the admin or the
  user, it seems to me, that Mahara first looks into the core lang
  folders for the appropriate xx.utf8 folders and if not found, goes
  into the langpack afterwards.

  With some plugins this works fine (e.g., CPDS) and for example French
  strings are displayed from the fr.utf8 folders embeded in the plugin
  folder. With some others (embdly, externsource, ldap, ...) this
  doesn't work. To get the French translation, the admin has to move the
  fr.utf8 from the core plugins folders and place them into the langpack
  folders in the maharadata.

  I don't understand that the behaviour is different from one plugin to
  another.

  Moreover, I would propose that the multilingual mechanist become the
  following:

  1) I can cope with the obligation to create a xx.utf8 folder in the
  maharadata/langpack folder to avoid having a list of undesired
  languages in the language menu. This gives system admin a way to
  control languages displayed on the platform.

  For each string to be displayed:

  2) Mahara gets the user/system selected language (xx)
  3) Mahara first looks into the langpack/xx.utf8 folder. If the folder is
found, Mahara uses all the strings of these files to display information
  4) If the string is not found, Mahara looks into the core lang/xx.utf8
folders to find it, if found, it displays the information
  5) If the string is not found, Mahara looks into the langpacks/en.utf8 folder
  6) If the string is not found, Mahara looks into the core lang/en.utf8 folder
  7) If the string is not found, Mahara displays an error with the name of the
string? (But this should never happen).

  That way:

  A) developers can offer localised versions of their plugin without
  giving more work to the system admin for moving files from the plugin
  to the maharadata/langpack

  B) Wether admins want override a translation or the en.utf8 strings,
  they can by adding xx.utf8 or en.utf8 folders into the langpack
  folder.

  Maybe a discussion could start here about this (bug report and feature
request)
  -dajan