That's true, but notes are in the content area, and to get there you
have to have already gone through the page which tells you which views
each note appears in, so users are more likely to treat notes in the
same way as their files and journals.  I guess the obvious question then
is whether you should also be able to toggle blog post comments from
inside the block configuration forms.  File and image comments, etc.?
Perhaps all artefact comment settings should appear in block
configuration?  Personally I think there's a risk that users could
surprise themselves by adding/removing comments in unexpected places.

  Place the "Allow coments" check box for text boxes onto the text box
  block

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  affects Mahara 1.5

  The "Allow comments" functionality for text boxes / notes is well
  hidden because you can only get to it via Content -> Notes -> Edit a
  particular note. It would be better and easier for the work flow if a
  user could decide to allow comments on a text box / note when actually
  creating it.

  As text boxes / notes cannot be created from Content -> Notes many
  users might not readily go there and make the change there.