Sorry, I don't quite follow as I am not a dev.

To understand the functionality better around the experimental setting
of uniqubyusername, please take a look at
http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.5_STABLE/site_admin/experimental.html
#usersuniquebyusername-variable and around SAML and auto-creation of
accounts see the warning at
http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.5_STABLE/site_admin/institutions.html
#saml-authentication

On one of our sites I know that we do not have registration allowed for
the default institution (No institution), but subsequent institutions
handle their registration themselves by deciding whether they allow or
disallow it and also whether they have MNet auto-create accounts or not.

If you run a Mahara with multiple institutions where different SAML IdP
can be set up, then SAML auth cannot be allowed to auto-create accounts.
That's what the warning is about in the second link above.

  Authentication plugin user autocreation can become impossible

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  New

Bug description:
  It is possible to put yourself in a situation where users having users
  auto-created by an authentication plugin is impossible.

  By design, for auto-creation to happen, all institutions must be
  registerallowed = 0 .

  By design, when an authentication plugin is added to an institution,
  registerallowed is set to 0. But it is not set for all institutions,
  if multiple exist.

  Once an authentication plugin is added to an institution, via the web
  interface the control to toggle registerallowed for an institution is
  hidden.

  To reproduce from a fresh installation of Mahara:
  Create an institution
  Set config item usersuniquebyusername = 1
  Add and configure an authentication plugin
  Attempt to login with with a new user that should autocreate, which will fail
because the 'mahara' institution will still have registerallowed = 1

  To workaround:
  Connect to the database and set registerallowed = 0 for all institutions, eg
'UPDATE institution set registerallowed = 0 ;'.