I think this is an iPad specific issue. I tried demo.mahara.org (1.5.0)
and master.dev (1.6.0dev) on my Android tablet (Ice Cream Sandwich) and
could change the page themes without an issue and still edit existing
blocks.

  Allowing page themes disables iPad editing

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  New

Bug description:
  Since Mahara 1.5.1 when the administrator enables page themes under
  Site options Users "Users can change page themes" the editing on the
  iPad is disabled completely.

   Blocks cannot be placed and existing blocks cannot be updated.

  The user gets a message saying "Page theme updated successfully" even
  though no new page theme was selected.

  Using Safari or other mobile browsers for the iPad.  Running PHP
  Version 5.3.3-7+squeeze8 and using mysql 5.1.49.

  With the page theme option disabled, it works just fine.