I encounter the same problem even with a very small image file (33.9 KB)
on my test 1.4 (Ubuntu Precise, PostgreSQL). However, do not have that
problem in 1.5 and master.

Thanks for pointing out the inconsistency. I made forum post in MUG
asking other users about their opinion:
https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=4738

  Cannot comment on images in group pages

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  New

Bug description:
  - version of Mahara: 1.4.2
  - operating system:  Windows (I think - I don't have back-end access)
  - database: MySQL (I think - I don't have back-end access)
  - Chrome 20, IE8 & 9, FireFox 13, Safari 5

  I know that in your normal Portfolio > Pages when you create a page,
  use the image block to add an image, save the page, then view the
  page, you can then click on the image and have the option to 'Place
  feedback'. You hit the Place Feedback button, it says 'Processing...'
  for a few seconds and then comes back with a green tick and a Feedback
  placed message.

  This does not work if you try to Place Feedback on an image in a page
  in a group. That is, if you put an image block in a group page, and
  then try to place feedback on that image, then it just hangs on the
  'Processing...' button. Feedback never appears.

  You can comment (Place Feedback) on the actual page though.

  I have tried this on several browsers.

  Also... maybe for consistency and to prevent confusion, the Place
  Feedback maybe should be called Place Comments... or vice-versa