Hi Kristina,
Yes - I thought about taking the group out of the default permissions for th
epage and adding individual users - time consuming but possible (would be
easier if the permission list for the page could be added by csv as course
lists are usually available). What I didn't think that would do though is hide
the page in the list of group pages - just deny access. I'll have to do some
testing around that.
Thanks, Gordon.

  Sub groups with different permission per page

Status in Mahara ePortfolio:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  Enhancement

  An advanced group option that allows the administrator to control
  visibility and editing rights over pages within the group, and to
  assign membership within these pages and sub-groups. Rather than 'all
  or nothing' rights for general users, individuals could have editing
  rights over specific pages or collections within a group. Pages would
  have the optional setting to be invisible to non-members, just as
  groups have at the next level up. This parallels the group
  functionality in Moodle, but is far more versatile due to the creator
  / editor rights that users have on Mahara.

  This would allow the creation of generic group areas, within which you
  could have specific project spaces, but only the students
  collaborating on that project would see the page or collection listed
  (or edit the content).

  As an example from some work I'm developing at the moment:
  Our year course cohorts (~140 students) will be expected to collaborate in
answering specific research questions, and we hope to use Mahara for thius
activity. From a starting point of having a year group on Mahara for all
students, with template pages for students to copy, we would end up with about
18 pages per year MULTIPLIED by the number of groups We would also have all
students able to see the work of all other groups. This quickly becomes too
unwieldy, so the next option is to break up the year cohort group into one
Mahara group per module (6 Mahara groups) each with 3 pages per student 'group'
- if there were 10 students per group we would have 42 pages, of which only 3
were relevant to individual students.
  Possible solution 1 - If students only see those pages [within a group] that
they are members of in the page list it simplifies student interaction with the
group considerably.

  The next option is to instead split the students into groups and then assign
pages to those groups. Unfortunately the physical composition of members of the
group will vary from module to module - and even from week to week - the same
students won't be working together on every project throughout the year - we
would have to create 50+ groups per year cohort, which becomes unmanageable,
and from the student perspective confusing as they are likely to end up with
50+ groups over the duration of their degree.
  Possible solution 2 - within groups have a sub-group option, where membership
is a subset of the main group and content is visible / editable based on
settings chosen for that subgroup. Students can be added once to the
overarching group, then filtered into subgroups according to the project they
are working on at that time. Anything they aren't involved with would be
invisible - though pages from the subgroups could be made visible to the entire
cohort at a later date.

  Regards, Gordon.